This week is the 5th Annual National Small Business Week.
In honor the event I thought I’d offer my 2-cents on the topic of small business leadership.
Many of my blog subscribers attended last week’s webinar on The 5 Critical Mistakes Small Business Leaders Make that Kill Productivity & Profits.
In this webinar I offered 5 things small business leaders must take a look at within their business in order to make sure they are running optimally.
For those of you who did not attend the webinar, I’ll list these five critical mistakes of small business leaders here:
- Not having a Championship Game Vision and articulating it clearly and consistently to the team.
- create something inspiring that employees can get excited about contributing to, just like an athletic team playing for a championship
- invest time and energy making sure the new hire is a fit for the organization’s culture and put more attention on attitude, behaviors, beliefs and work ethic, and get to those through behavioral interviewing strategies
- too much is focused on accomplished the tasks in job descriptions and ‘FaceTime’ in the office instead of defining clear results/outcomes that should be achieved from the position
- in the 21st century the paycheck is just not enough to motivate employees, and that’s a good thing as it takes the focus off the money and more on purpose and making a difference.
- Most families are dysfunctional and many family businesses are run dysfunctionally from a personnel perspective. Define the aspects of the culture you would like to incorporate into your organization and build from there, forget about defining it as a ‘family atmosphere.’
If you’d like to take this concept deeper, I encourage you to experience the webinar. If you go to http://InstantTeleseminar.com/?eventid=29303220 you can download a free mp3 audio recording and view the streaming webinar.
Enjoy National Small Business Week and the free webinar to help you make your business even better!
’til next time, make it a great week!