Happy New Year!
Over the holidays, like you, I was engaged in a number of interesting conversations.
My wife, Anne, brought up a topic I never thought I’d hear out of her mouth.
It came to her while listening to one of the podcasts she’s been listening to as she walks to work these days.
The topic was the concept of “abundance vs. scarcity.”
We agreed that having an abundant mindset was the singular most important frame of reference one could have for life.
The opposite, scarcity mindset, came with a lot of stress, cynicism and skepticism.
What is the difference between a mindset of abundance and a mindset of scarcity?
There are some key differences.
People with an abundance mindset see:
• Unlimited resources instead of scarce resources
• Opportunities instead of threats
• Collaboration instead of competition
• Applicable similarities instead of irreconcilable differences
• Possibilities for growth instead of fear of loss
• The sum being of greater value than individual parts
• Opportunity to build on others’ success instead of a zero-sum game
• An internal locus of control vs. external controlling factors
• Internal responsibility instead of external blame
When I was younger if someone I knew received an award or a bonus or secured a new client, I would resent it, and them.
The sad thing was I felt this way whether the individual was working with me in my company or on my team, or if they were a friend in an unrelated field or career.
How crazy is that?
I felt as if their success reflected negatively on me.
In reality, it was the level of results I was producing that determined the impression others had of me.
The only thing preventing me from getting similar accolades, awards, bonuses or a new client was my skills and ability.
I needed to take responsibility for that.
What about you?
What is your relationship with an abundance and scarcity mindset?
Make 2015 the year you shift to a 100% abundance mindset and it will be a great year!
All the best to you, your family and your company in 2015!
’til next time, make it a great week!