Because 45% of business leaders recently reported in my survey that High-Performance Leadership Communication Level 3 was their weakest level, I thought I’d offer some additional specific strategies they can apply to improve the engagement of their employees when commuicating to the group in a team setting from the front of the room.
- Prepare in Advance – This sounds like an elementary strategy and many of you are probably saying to yourself, “this is best Skip can offer me, I know this, this is elementary.” And, you are absolutely right. Yet, too many business leaders ‘”wing-it.” Business leaders who want to communicate to motivate, must step back to invest time to prepare comments in advance. This also includes practicing the delivery. Be very familiar with what you want to say, and then practice how you want to say it. The points you want to emphasize and use specific words that will generate an emotional response.
- Keep it short & simple – Limit the message to 1-3 key points you want to make, no more. The simpler the message the easier it is to retain. If there are many points and many priorities the message is going to get lost and causes confusion. If everything is a priority, nothing is a priority.
- Make it fun & engaging – The easiest way to turn your audience off is to focus on the numbers and the gap between budgeted objectives and present levels. Some of this is unavoidable as leaders need to measure results, but too much of this and people will glaze over, roll their eyes and say “here we go again” feeling as though their being criticized for under-performing. Instead try this:
- Get people engaged in a conversation about challenges, roadblocks they are facing and facilitate a solutions-based discussion from within the group.
- Identify some people who have had recent success and allow them to tell their story of challenges overcome as they relate to other’s who have expressed similar challenges so that the comments are relevant. Let them share the strategy they applied to achieve success in those specific situations others are facing.
You can learn more about The 3 Levels of High-Performance Leadership Communication by downloading my latest FREE white paper report titled How to Increase Your Bottom Line Without Spending a Dime: 3 Simple Secrets to Employee Engagement & Real Performance Results! (plus register to join me for a free telelcass on November 17th) at www.TheEmployeeEngagementExpert.com.
If you’re among the 44% of business leaders unhappy with the performance of their employees and direct reports and would like to immediately improve both the response and results you achieve with you may want to consider a Leadership Communication Strategy Session, where we will assess your present situation and identify specific strategies to address your most pressing issues and challenges with your present team so you can begin achieving higher levels of performance results.
I look forward to speaking with you. ‘Til next time, make it a great week!